1, 2, template!
Developing a custom template is easy. Instead of starting from scratch, you can use the boilerplate template, which includes a solid foundation to get you started quickly.
- Create a new website and select the pixolino boilerplate template.
- Define the usage options of your new template.
Prerequisites for developing a new template
To activate the template developer tools, you have to activate the developer menu in your user settings menu.
Prerequisites for working on a website's template
You need a pixolino account where you have owner or developer rights. If you sign up for a new account, you are the owner of this account. If you are added to an existing publisher account, the owner can grant you developer rights. There are no fees for opening an account or developing a template.
Creating a template
When you create a new template, a demo website for this template will be created automatically. You can use this website to test your template and see how it looks. When you publish the template, users can also view the demo website. This gives you the opportunity to publish a polished version of your template and to show off all its features.
Demo websites are free; you will never be charged for them. However, some features that are mainly useful for real websites (such as the ability to connect domains) are disabled for demo websites.
Developing/Customizing a template
- Decide what kind of content you want to allow. You will define a page template for all types of content that your template supports.
- For each page template, you will define dynamic slots where editors can add their content. For example, a page could contain two slots: one slot for the main content, where users can add text and images, and another slot for a sidebar.
- Integrate navigation elements.
- Define CSS styles for the allowed PageObjects of each slot.
- Optionally define configurable styles to allow website owners to change the visual appearance of your template without writing a single line of CSS.
Market templates vs. website templates
Templates that can be used to style a website, are developed and published in the “Market” section of the “Template” menu. Public templates are available for all websites, private templates are only available for websites published under the same account. Without its developer's permission (given with a checkbox in the template's settings menu), a template is not listed in the public marketplace.
Once you chose a template for your website, it is available in the “Websites” section. This website template is a copy of the market template: all files, settings and scripts are copied. It is possible to change these copies and develop your own version of the market template.
You can develop a market template without signing up for a new website plan: For each market template, a demo website is automatically created. Just create a new template in the market and switch to the websites panel. The new demo website is listed under “Template Demo Websites”.